– Illuminated signs: definition
– Types of illuminated signs
– Why choose an illuminated sign?
– Use of the neon sign
The choice of lighting system is an important step in the design of a sign, as it allows the company to stand out from its competitors and be visible during closing hours. This is why the place of illuminated signs in commercial activity plays a key role.
Illuminated signs: definition
Illuminated signs are one of the most effective media for advertising communication. Regardless of the lighting technology, it is always equipped with either LED or neon lighting.
Just like a shop sign, it consists of all illuminated inscriptions, shapes or images that can be placed on the facade of a building where an activity is carried out.
The sign, whether illuminated or not, is a means of display that allows:
– to attract customers;
– to promote the image;
– to convey a message.
Types of illuminated signs
Illuminated signs allow you to promote your business day and night, and are available in different models:
– Illuminated boxes;
– LED signs;
– neon signs.
Illuminated signs can be:
– either illuminated from the inside, as is the case for lightboxes or certain sign letters;
– or backlit.
What is a lightbox?
It is widely used in the field of signage and advertising communication. The lightbox is a visual device that allows a poster to be displayed. Totally or partially transparent, it has a luminous electrical installation (LED or neon backlighting) that allows you to enhance your display.
The models of lightboxes
Several types of lightboxes are currently available on the market:
– The simple lightbox, which allows highlighting an advertising poster on the front part of the box.
– The double-sided lightbox, which offers the possibility of displaying 2 models of visuals on both sides. These include flag signs.
– The scrolling lightbox, which can display several visuals scrolling successively. This is notably the case for certain advertising panels.
– The stretched canvas lightbox, which allows for the display of large lengths or large surfaces, as is the case for advertising tarpaulins.
What is an LED sign?
The LED illuminated sign is a form of dynamic advertising that uses diodes and can be remotely controlled via a computer. This offers many advantages over traditional neon signs or lightboxes.
The LED illuminated sign has light-emitting diodes for its illumination. Regardless of the model or brand of the sign, the process remains the same: these diodes allow electricity to pass through the material and the energy that is released allows the sign to be illuminated from the outside.
Depending on the materials of the sign, the colour of the light will be different. This material will also determine the wavelength of the light emitted.
What type of LED sign for your shop?
The LED sign can be used both indoors and outdoors. Depending on your needs, you can choose between:
– The programmable LED sign:
◦ Placed outdoors, you can program it to flash or scroll.
◦ It also allows you to broadcast a message to the public day and night.
– The decorative LED sign:
◦ Placed indoors, this luminous LED sign groups together LED display screen type signs or decorative LED signs.
◦ It allows you to highlight an advertising message or a commercial offer.
What is a neon sign?
The use of neon offers a definite advantage in illuminated signage. Like the lightbox and the LED sign, the neon sign allows you to durably spread the image of your activity, your business or your products.
To be seen, the neon sign is one of the most effective media.
There are two types of neon signs:
– Glass neon signs: these are illuminated signs lit by fluorescent tubes. These tubes illuminate, from below, a box which is equipped with a glass face.
– Flexible neon signs: these use the latest lighting technology to overcome the disadvantages of conventional neon signs.
Use of the neon sign
Depending on the type of business you wish to equip with an illuminated sign, certain types of display media should be preferred.
To date, neon signs are mainly used by night-time businesses such as:
– restaurants, etc.
Why choose an illuminated sign?
An illuminated sign is a company visual that promotes contact with the customer. Putting an illuminated sign on your company or shop allows you to:
– stand out from the competition;
– catch the customer’s eye;
– be visible day and night.
Use of illuminated signs
Illuminated signs are of vital importance for a shop or business, whether it is located in a busy street or in a less commercial area.
This utility can be found in:
– advertising signs;
– shop signs;
– signs for bars, tobacconists, bakeries, restaurants, etc.
In our next publications, we will present the advantages and disadvantages of lightboxes, LED signs and neon signs. Stay posted, and remember to leave your comments below.