Whether you live in a house or a flat, in summer the sun shines on your terrace or balcony, but also inside. An awning is an ideal solution! Made-to-measure, you will be sure to have a piece of equipment that fully meets the dimensions of your windows and your needs. In this post, you will discover the different types of made-to-measure external blinds to protect your home effectively.
What are the characteristics of a custom-made external blind?
The role of a made-to-measure external blind is to provide shade on terraces and balconies and to protect against UV rays. Its characteristics are as follows:
– It is an awning made of coated fabric with a water-repellent treatment or polyethylene.
– It is resistant to moisture and mildew.
– It filters ultraviolet (UV) light.
– It can be horizontal (awning or projection blind) or vertical (roller blind).
– They are available in a wide range of colours, both plain and patterned.
Good to know: the choice of colour for an awning depends on your taste, but also on the regulations of your housing estate, or your co-ownership in the case of a building, and sometimes on the town planning regulations of your town. Before choosing a colour, make sure you find out about your various obligations.
What are the different types of made-to-measure external blinds?
Custom-made outdoor blinds come in horizontal or vertical versions depending on the use you wish to make of them, the area to be protected, and the type of window to be fitted.
Horizontal external blinds
The projection blind or “Italian blind” has the following characteristics:
– It is a simple model, made up of two lateral arms which are lowered to a maximum of 180° and project the fabric.
– It keeps the light in a while, protecting the interior.
– It is often installed on small windows in addition to an awning that is installed above the window, as the maximum length of the arms limits its protective role.
The customised version adapts to old, non-standard windows, for which it is the ideal complement. Its size can vary from 50 to 120 cm in width and 50 to 120 cm in depth.
Here are the characteristics of an awning:
– Normally, an awning is of great width and depth, made of a fabric operated by two powerful arms.
– It can cover the entire surface of a terrace and is very discreet when raised.
– To protect the fabric from dirt, you can fit it with a box in which it disappears completely when not in use. Talk to a professional about the different options on the market.
– Different options are also available thanks to the custom-made design:
◦ with an automatic mechanism to lower it in case of the sun and raise it in case of rain or wind, even if you are away from home;
◦ it can also have LED lighting built into the arms for the evening.
– Made to measure, usually its maximum size is 6 m wide for a 4 m deep projection. Beyond that, it is advisable to install several awnings next to each other, as even a powerful motor will have difficulty handling more weight.
Good to know: there are also made-to-measure awnings for pergolas that are fixed to the structure using a system of velcro, eyelets and tensioners. These are awnings that remain in place all year round or can be removed for thorough cleaning. Typical sizes range from 50 cm to 1.30 m in width and from 1 m to 6 m in depth. Several awnings should be placed side by side if your pergola exceeds these dimensions.
The roller blind
The characteristics of a roller blind are as follows:
– It is an awning more suited to balconies and contemporary buildings.
– The fabric is held in place by two aluminium guides or two stainless steel cables on either side of the blind, depending on the window configuration to be protected.
– Installed outside, it blocks the heat while keeping a certain amount of light inside thanks to its micro-perforated fabric.
– It can also be completely blacked out by choosing a suitable fabric.
– You can also use it to close a covered terrace or a loggia.
– You can adjust it in height thanks to a chain mechanism.
– It reduces heat by 30% inside your home and UV rays by 90%.
– It has an elastic or zip system at the bottom to secure it completely and prevent it from moving in the wind.
– You can choose to install it with or without a protective box.
– You can make it to measure, and its width ranges from 80 cm to a maximum of 300 cm, while its height varies from 100 cm to 300 cm.
The privacy blind or side blind
The characteristics of a privacy blind are as follows:
– It avoids side views.
– It is convenient on flat balconies to preserve your privacy.
– Made of acrylic fabric, it is fixed at the bottom to avoid movement due to draughts.
– Its width varies from 150 to 300 cm depending on its height, ranging from 120 to 240 cm for custom-made products.
Good to know: it is possible to order a matching post to facilitate installation to the exact measurements for made-to-measure products.
See you soon in our following publication, where we will tell you how to install a custom-made outdoor blind? See you soon!